Skip to main content

How to Faux Shiplap your Trailer Walls!


I know we are so trendy right?! Gotta have shiplap if you are doing a remodel I guess! This actually started as a joke. Kyle and I have an inside joke about "really opening up the space" and "add shiplap and subway tile" from all these remodeling shows now. But after we built a new wall in the trailer, guess what? It really could use some shiplap! Haha. Jokes on us!


Since real shiplap is made out of wood, and would add a ton of weight to our already heavy trailer, we decided to make faux shiplap. We bought the same vinyl flooring we used for the floors, but in the lightest color they had, which was this Driftwood Grey color. I wanted the lighter color because we knew we would be painting them white(ish).


Like everything else in this trailer, we started with Zinsser Bulls Eye Interior Latex Primer. This is after the first coat. I added one more coat of primer before I painted with the top coat.


For our top coat I went with a sample we had left over from when we were picking paint colors. It's Valspar's "Snowed In" from Lowes. It was too light for the rest of the trailer, but worked out perfect for this faux shiplap. I decided to paint the panels first before putting them up on the wall. With the style we were going for, you want to be able to see the seams and if I painted the planks up on the wall, the paint would have filled in all those seams we wanted to see.


Again, like the floor in this area, since this wall was made with the Zip System the back of it is OSB. So we will be using the Universal Flooring Adhesive again like we did the floors. This time I didn't use the trowel.


The first step was to cut out a hole for the outlet box.


Then I started to spread the stinky glue with a putty knife. I made sure to spread a thin layer of this stuff, as to not have a repeat of glue seeping out like we did with the floors.



First piece up. It sticks! I pressed really hard back and fourth over the board to insure it was sticking all over. 


So far so good, nothing is slipping or falling off the wall!

I kept going and nothing fell off the wall! This glue is super sticky and worked even though the packaging said it wouldn't. 


Success! We love it, and it only took about an hour to put this side up. The other side was even faster since its much smaller. 



We used our staple gun with some brad nails to secure each corner just to be safe. I honestly don't think the wall need the nails, this glue seems to be holding up perfectly. But just incase, we don't want to open the trailer next time we bring it home with shiplap on the floor!


After Kyle went and hammered in any nails that were sticking out, I went over them with a paint pen to make them look more seamless with the wall.

Seriously though, "Shiplap" in a pop-up trailer? We might be crazy. 😉

Comments