Skip to main content

New Curtains



We finally have new curtains in the PUP and I couldn’t be happier! They definitely “open up the space” 😉


These were the curtains and valance that came with the trailer. They were an ugly green, with holes and lots of stains and smelled awful. To start this project, I labeled each curtain and valance panel with a posit and took photos of them hanging for future reference. This was probably the best thing I did because we took the curtains out of the trailer back in April and I finally put the new ones up today in June!

IMG_4440.jpeg
IMG_4445.jpeg
IMG_4447.jpeg

After everything was labeled, measured and documented it was time to pick fabric. This my friends, was harder than I thought it would be. I searched many fabric stores and websites. But it was so hard to actually decided on a fabric it was starting to stress me out. While we worked on other things, with the curtains in the back of my mind, I found these curtains at Target and they were perfect! I waited for them to go on sale and spent a little under $80 for 4 panels at 84” which is about 9.5 yards of fabric. That ended up being $8.42/yard. That price was hard to beat, home decor fabric can get pretty costly, most over $10/yard!



I even extended my “yardage” by taking the hem out of the bottom of the panels which gave me a good 4+ more inches to work with. 




For each curtain, I cut the fabric to size, pinned up a hem then ironed that hem with fusible web to help make the hem a little sturdier then finally sewed the hem shut.




That was the easy part. This next part was pretty tedious. The previous curtains came with these clips on the back which are how they are hung in the PUP. I ripped them off the old curtains and had to hand sew them onto the new curtains.



2 down, 6 to go.


The next step was making some tiebacks for the curtains. I wanted something with velcro to make things easy. The old tie backs you literally had to “tie” around the curtains to get them to stay. I bought this fabric on Etsy and made these cute little cuffs for the curtains.



I used one of the design stitches on my sewing machine to create a fun border that matches the tribal/outdoorsy theme we already have going in the PUP.



They work perfectly as simple tiebacks!




I love how these curtains came out. I have decided against the valance for now. I think maybe once we get to California that can be a future project for the PUP. But for now, these curtains work perfectly!


Comments